Why Statewide Public Works Mutual Aid?
- By definition, disasters are typically beyond our capability to handle without outside assistance.
- Most disasters will also affect our neighboring communities.
- As a first responder, Public Works will be involved in a disaster from the beginning of response until the end of recovery
- Public Works manpower is limited , therefore mutual aid is needed earlier in an incident.
- Public Works must be self-sufficient. They don’t always have the required resources to adequately respond.
- You are on your own for the first 72 hours
- Other 1st Responders have systems already in place
Federal Directives after 9/11
- HSPD-5: Established the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS)
- HSPD-8: Expanded definition of 1st responders to include Public Works personnel
Illinois Public Works Mutual Aid Network is a Statewide Mutual Aid System for Public Works agencies in Illinois – members can be:
- Municipal Public Works / Street Departments,
- Townships / Unit Road Districts,
- County Highway Departments,
- Water, and Wastewater Agencies/Districts
- Park Districts
- Any public agency performing a public works function
Mutual Aid can be used during disasters such as:
- Tornadoes/Wind Storms
- Infrastructure Failures
- Terrorism Events
Benefits of IPWMAN
- All public works related agencies can be members
- Membership sets priorities and controls system
- Network maintains current, readily accessible listing of available resources
- Recognized by IEMA and other statewide mutual aid organizations
- Comprehensive, public works driven and led training
- Access to assets from all corners of Illinois
- First 5 days support provided at no cost
- Standardized operating procedures for disaster response
- Quick and direct access to assets
- One agreement, simplified reimbursement
Mutual Aid Agreement Highlights
- Authority is provided under Illinois law
- One standard agreement signed by each member agency.
- Self renewing after first year with payment of dues
- Can cancel at any time
- No obligation to respond
- 12 hour minimum response guarantee
- Can recall resources at any time after first 12 hours
- Reimbursement after 5 days
- Non Exclusive